Friday, January 29, 2016

A Picture Book Query Letter Workshop!

I have found that I am an anomaly. I don't hate query letters. It makes me sad when people call it "the dreaded query letter". I actually love writing them. Love with a capital L-O-V-E. Yeah, I know. I'm weird. But it's a useful quirk.

To me the process and challenge of writing a query is like solving a puzzle. How can the story be pitched best? The moving and changing of words and phrases trying to find the best combination is exciting. I embrace the challenge and hope you do too.

Since I partnered with my agent I don't have to write query letters for myself anymore. So, I've been helping other writers create and polish their queries to get my query fix. I do critiques, writing, and consulting for many picture book writers, which led me to an idea. One that will let me help even more people write great query letters and have the skills to write them for the picture books in the future as well.

I've been working hard to put together a query letter workshop specifically for picture book writers. Lessons on how to write a query letter are broken down with step by step instructions, examples, and explanations. The workshop is designed for writers that have a picture book manuscript that they are ready to write a query letter for. As part of the workshop I am going to make myself available for questions and assistance throughout as well as give a full query letter critique. I've also added resources, and information on submitting your work. I think you all already know I love to talk about that stuff!

If this sounds like the kind of help you could use, I'd love to have you check out my new Picture Book Query Letter Workshop page for more details. I'm excited. This is going to be fun!

Oh, and look for a new Monster List to celebrate the workshop coming very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment