Monday, July 2, 2007

California Here I Come!

I have to drive back to California. Tomorrow. For some reason this comes as a shock to me even though I've known for a month. We've been so busy we've nary had time to decide who was going or how to get there. Well, you procrastinate long enough and you're driving, alone, with three kids. Okay, that's not alone. That would actually be way easier. Can I say I love my new car with the tv in it? (I've come a long way since the 8x10 cabin.) I'm generally against these types of things except when I have three noisy kids on a 24-hour road trip. Listening to kid's movies while you drive is really interesting. I pick up on the adult humour they sneak in alot more easily. It can be offensive. I can't believe the stuff they sneak in sometimes. I listened to Shark Tale quite a few times on the way up. I don't think we'll bring that one.

Anyway, I'm going to California because my Mom is going to China. This affects me because she and her long time(10 years) significant other have decided they want to get married before they go incase anything happens. Okay. Fine.

But I was just there! Couldn't they have thought of this when I was there for six months? The ceremony's only gonna last like five minutes! I know, I need to be supportive and this my family and I should be there. Plus my Mom cried when I told her I didn't think I was going to be able to come.

Ugh. It's such a long drive. We're going to miss our small town fourth of July which is the best anywhere. You get to sit right under the fireworks on the shore of the lake. And it's free. And they say they have cool new stuff this year. I suppose we may miss fireworks altogether. I'm generally against fireworks too, but it's become a tradition since we moved here. They are really stinky. I hate the way the air is on the fifth. And I'll have to be in it in some big city somewhere. Gross.

I guess I better go pack and get ready to go. I've been putting that off too. I don't know when I'll be back. Definitely before the 19th. Don't want to miss going on the radio and doing a booksigning.(Can you hear the sarcasm?)

6 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you have to drive BACK!!!! Aaugh!!!!

    Thank goodness for your little car DVD.

    How old are your kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, love how you casually slip in the little radio info and book signing at the end of your post like it's not a big deal.

    AACCKKK!

    You know... this trip is a great idea. It will help take your mind off the other stuff waiting for you at home and you won't be able to obsess about it the way I know you want to.

    Great news that you have to drive all the way to California again. Woohoo!!

    How's that for positive thinking? It's something new I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a great trip and enjoy the wedding, though I don't envy you driving with 3 kids in the backseat.

    And don't worry about that radio interview. Think of all the authors still buried in the slush pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trip down was easy, as easy as 16 hours of driving can be. We actually made it in a day and a half and got here early. The kids(2, 6 & 9)really wanted to get here so they were willing to make the long haul. It helped that my 2 year-old fell asleep for the last four hours. We'll be heading home tomorrow. We'll be sad to leave, but happy to see Dad!
    As for the radio interview. I slipped it in because it was(and is) on my mind. But it's not a big deal, right? Positive thinking, positive thinking. Good thing I've been so busy. I've barely thought of the radio interview or the slush pile. It's been really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written article.

    ReplyDelete