Saturday, May 23, 2009

Query Letter Vexation

So, here I am working on this query letter. I’ve been working on it for a really long time, off and on, for a number of hours, days, and weeks that have blended together into a letter writing blur.

Sometimes query letter come easily. I know my hook right from the start. My description is dead on. That definitely happened with Bedtime Monster.

Other times, I work and write and rethink and rewrite. Then when I can’t get it right I go back and look at my manuscript, which I thought was finished, and rethink and rewrite it, again, for the bazillionth time because if I can’t write a great hook and description, there’s probably(most likely? definitely?) something wrong.

Unfortunately, it’s easy to second guess yourself in this business. Here I am rewriting a query letter that has already garnered requests. Why? I think it can be better. I think I can give more of a flavor of the book. Yet, I’m beginning to be tempted to just leave it as it was.

But... I won’t. I WILL KEEP WORKING ON IT UNTIL I GET IT RIGHT! Even if it takes me much longer than I expected. And what doesn't these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment