Saturday, January 30, 2010

Too Long?

So, you might know this already, but I'm writing this young adult novel. It's not really my first novel, but it's the first one I'm going to finish. All. The. Way.

I used to think I couldn't do it, ya know. I write short. I write picture books. How could I possibly write something so long?

But I think I've finally got it figured out. This thing I'm writing right now, this first draft, is just an outline. A very long outline with lots of things going on, but there is more to add. More details, for sure. More suspense. More twists. More, more, more. With this first draft I am just getting the story down. Outlining what will become the manuscript. Dare I hope? The book.

Figuring this out has freed me to keep on pushing forward with this novel and not worry about the things I need to fix. Yet. I mean, I have gone back and revised some chapters and if I have an idea for some part of the book I definitely write it down, but completing the first draft is my main goal for now.

Then comes revision and all the fun that comes with it. I'm looking forward to it. I've dedicated myself to completing this book. I am betting that I will.

3 comments:

  1. Stick with it - I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheering you on! My first drafts of novels are like that, too-almost like an outline, then you go back and add in color.

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Now that I know you know, I really am going to finish it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete