Sunday, October 30, 2011

Do I Really Need More Ideas?



Picture book ideas. I have a lot of them. In notebooks, on napkins, on teeny weeny scraps of paper. Do I really need more of them?!

For the first time ever since I had my kids, I've been working a regular old nine to five job. It's been four months and I have to say, I now have mad respect for writers who have families and full time jobs. I mean, knowing it must be hard and actually doing it and feeling how hard it is are two different things. I've had book ideas, sure, but I have been terrible about writing them down! And I certainly haven't had as many ideas as usual with my focus being pulled in an entirely different direction. Numbers! I work in an accounting department. My chat status since I started? wORkiNg WiTh nuMbERs. PleASe SeND hElp!

I'm looking to this year's Picture Book Idea Month to give me a kick in the butt and get me back in the right direction--carrying that notebook and writing things down, and allowing myself to revel in work that is wholly important to me despite having to focus on other things as well. You never know what little nugget of an idea may turn into a great picture book. So, do I really need more ideas? Yes. Yes I do.

Don't know what Picture Book Idea Month is? Wanna join in? Check out Tara Lazar's blog.

Oh, and you see that super cuter banner for Picture Book Idea Month up there? That was created by Bonnie Adamson, illustrator of Bedtime Monster. How cool is that!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with PiBoIdMo!!!!

    I'm sure you'll come up with some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I have mad respect not only to your writing AND working AND mothering, but to signing on to thirty PB ideas month. I used to think I was chuck-full of ideas until I heard about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you! Good luck...I'm in too...here is to being snowed in with ideas (but not literally, that can wait a wee while)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Heather! I think PiBoIdMo is an awesome idea. I hope you come up with loads of great picture book ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys. I wasn't looking for mad respect(although it is super fly) but it sure is nice to have some support in this crazy writing life! Here's to having lots of ideas!

    ReplyDelete