Saturday, January 30, 2016

The New Monster List of Picture Book Publishers!

I know that a lot of you use my Monster List of Picture Book Agents. It's a good resource for when you're on the hunt for an agent, if I do say so myself. I go through the same process to create the posts as I would if I were researching an agent to query. I search to find information about the agent, what they're looking for when it comes to picture books, what they want in submissions, who they represent... all of those things we try to figure out so we can make an educated guess as to if we might want to work with someone. All that research can help you find a way to personalize your query letter too.

I started the list because when I was looking for an agent I spent so much time slogging through submission guidelines trying to figure out if an agent actually took on picture book writers who didn't illustrate, that I got pretty fast at it. Plus I had a big list of agents and I wanted to share it. I still do. Putting together Monster List posts takes some time. But it's fun and I'm going to try to step it up this year and get a lot more posts done. There are lots of agents out there looking for picture books!

Created by Dana Carey.
There's another Monster List I have been wanting to create for some time. As I was putting together my new Picture Book Query Letter Workshop (I announced it yesterday!) I knew that I finally needed to get the list together for people to use.

Sometimes you want to submit your work straight to a publisher, and that is what this list is all about. I am really happy to give you the Monster List of Picture Book Publishers! So far there are over 60 publishers on the list, most of whom are open to unagented submissions right now.

I'm not going to be doing individual posts for this Monster List. Instead I have created a page and linked directly to the publisher's submission guidelines. Those can be so hard to find sometimes! Then you can click through to their website and see what picture books they publish and do your research to decide if they might be a good publisher for your manuscript.

I'm going to add to the list as I come across more picture book publishers. I'll keep track and do an update post on the blog every so often and will be sending out the info in my newsletter as well. (You can sign up in the sidebar.)

A huge THANK YOU! you to my partner in Sub It Club, Dana Carey, for changing up the fabulous Monster List of Picture Book Agents logo she created for me so that I can use it with the Monster List of Picture Book Publishers as well. I just love love that logo!

Whether you are thinking you might like to submit your book directly to publishers, or are well underway with submitting your work, open the door and take a peek at the new Monster List of Picture Book Publishers! Maybe some good places to submit your manuscript will jump out at you.

And if you're feeling like you need help with your query letter, please check out my Picture Book Query Letter Workshop. I'd be happy to help you get that query letter written so you can put your best pitch forward and submit that picture book!

6 comments:

  1. I think I've been living under a rock. I have never heard of your Monster List of PB Agents before, and now publishers. Thank you :) I have found other lists but have been disappointed at their lack of accuracy when I look further into them. I'm excited to check out all these PB agents and add some to my agent wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Glad you finally found it Christie. Hope it helps!

      Delete
  2. I am so grateful to you for doing all the work in putting a list like this together! You and Dana are awesome! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so generous of you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, Heather! You've done a lot of legwork...hope you have someone who can give you the massage you deserve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! Here's to finding a good match for your manuscripts!

    ReplyDelete