Monday, February 28, 2011

Agent Profile - Jennifer Laughran, Andrea Brown Literary Agency

Andrea Brown Literary Agency is one of the best agencies representing children's books, so if you're on the agent hunt I'm sure you've heard of them and Jennifer Laughran. She's all over the internet so there's lots of information to help you decide whether or not she might be the right agent for you.

Jennifer has an outstanding blog with lots of great advice and where she sometimes answers questions from writers; Jennifer Represents.

You can find her on Twitter where she hangs out a lot, so if you're not on Twitter consider giving it a try! She also has a Facebook page where she talks about clients and writing and such.

This is a really helpful link for picture book writers: Jennifer did a guest post of her list of favorite picture books on Sergio Ruzzier's blog.

There's an interview with her about how to get your children's book published at The Book Doctors.

I found an interesting quote from Jennifer on an Absolute Write Forum page. You have to scroll about half way down to see it and I can't link directly to it so I'll post it here, "...But yeah, it is hard to sell picture books. Not "nearly impossible", just hard. It is probably even harder to get an AGENT if you are a debut author with only picture books. It would probably be a good idea to "diversify your portfolio." <--Yup,  bad news, but we picture book writers know it's tough already, don't we!

Andrea Brown Literary Agency has a great website with a How to Submit page. Be sure to read the tips and submission advice pages too. You can find Jennifer Laughran on their Agent bio page. Scroll down to find her.

Jennifer Laughran represents:
Kate Messner
and Daniel Pinkwater











6 comments:

  1. Jennifer has said on her blog that she only reps picture books by her novel-writing clients. In other words, query her with an MG or YA novel. If she likes it and takes you on, she might look at your PBs too. Just thought I should mention it in case people got the wrong idea and wanted to query her with a PB manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ishta! I didn't see that anywhere! *slaps forehead*

    So, technically Jennifer should not be on this list, but I'll leave her for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I queried Jenn and received the following response: "I think you should read our bios at Andreabrownlit.com -- I don't really rep picture books. (I do have a couple of clients who ALSO write picture books - but I am not looking for pbs at this time.)" So you might want to take her off your monster list.

    That being said, as a picture book author seeking agent representation, I sooooo appreciate all the information you provide. Big hugs for that, Kelly Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's things like that go to show that everyone needs to do their own research before submitting. I do my best, but mistakes happen!

    I did remove Jennifer from the Monster List, but left her profile up because, heck, she's a great agent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. [b][url=http://www.multilinguava.com/services.html]English Arabic Translator[/url]
    From Morocco[/b]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I am inspired! Very helpful info specially the ultimate part :) I take care of such info much. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck. http://www.wholesale-cheapnewerahats.com

    ReplyDelete