Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year's Action

New Year's Roundup--that sounds too depressing. Yes, I got rejected this year. No, I did not sub or blog as much as I wanted. That about rounds that up.

New Year's Resolutions--I made some last year on a whim thinking they could be motivational. I have no idea what they were.

This year I did something different. I didn't make plans, I took action. There is a major reason I don't get more things done. Believe it or not, I am disorganized. I know, it's hard to believe, my blog looking so nice and organized and all.

If you read my blog you may already know about my tendency to write things on any and all pieces of paper and then leave them lying around somewhere only to try to find them later when I need them.

Seems like I have a lot to do these days with interviews, blog posts, making a website, book promotion, subbing multiple manuscripts, etc., etc., etc. I used to spend an inordinate amount of time just looking for things. The blog post I wrote on some random piece of paper I thought I left on the kitchen table, the submission list I was sure I left by my bed... you know the drill (If you don't you are awesome).


So, I put together a binder for myself. I put a very cool book plate sticker I got at an SCBWI conference for the book THE INCREDIBLE BOOK EATING BOY by Oliver Jeffers on the front, which makes me happy. I made sections for the things I do most: blog posts, interviews, book reviews, books to order, promotion, website, and manuscripts. Then I put everything I had in there. Every book review I've written, every author whose info I've printed out for an interview, every single place I am listed and need to keep up on, and so on, and so on, and so on. I am actually amazed at the sheer number of things I have put in this binder.

It's good to have everything in one single place that I can take around the house with me and work on when I have a free moment. I'm hoping this will help me get more things done. Help me work faster. At the very least I'll save time looking for things. So far it seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment